Today’s events made this day abnormal.

I awoke feeling pretty good, but my dad didn’t.

As I mentioned in this post (and in this post), my dad is battling with an auto-immune disease called Scleroderma.

It has attacked his skin and internal organs, namely his lungs, making them hard and fibrous, which causes them to function less efficiently.

Since writing that post, my dad underwent a successful double-lung transplant surgery to replace both of his lungs. This transplant gives him the potential to extend his life (he was not given any chance to live without the transplant surgery); however, he still encounters some difficulties.

This morning he awoke with sharp pains in his abdomen, and he was experiencing chills.

My cousin rushed into my office this morning to let me know he was screaming in pain and asked for my help.

When I walked into to my father’s room, he didn’t look well. I gave him medicine to lessen the pain, and he said he would monitor himself to determine if he needed to go to the ER.

I checked in on him in 15 minute intervals for the next hour. Each time I checked on him, he seemed to be improving slightly.

He continued to monitor himself over the next few hours and sought the counsel of a nurse and doctor over the phone. Although he was no longer screaming in pain with the chills, he eventually agreed that we should take him to the hospital.

We spent the rest of the afternoon in the hospital until midnight this evening.

When I wasn’t in the examination room with my dad, I continued to work on my laptop in the lobby of the ER.

I put my headphones in, listened to ambient music (a style of instrumental music often used as background sound to enhance relaxation or work activities), and finished writing an article, sent an email update to our community, and worked on other items.

I found it easy to block out the multitude of distractions in the lobby — from the screaming children running back and forth to the televisions positioned everywhere throughout the lobby playing sports and world news.

It was easy to ignore the temptation to pass the time by watching college basketball as most others were doing.

I did find it more difficult not to look up from my computer every so often to see if my mom would walk out from the examination room to provide me with an update on my dad. But that’s understandable and easily explained given the circumstances.

When I returned to the examination room, I listened to the doctor present the steps he’d follow to form a differential diagnosis. I found it easy to follow along with he was suggesting although there was certainly medical jargon included in his explanations.

Later in the evening, the doctor decided to admit my dad to a hospital room where he’ll stay for a while until they can determine exactly what it is that is causing him this pain.

We made it into the room on the 10th floor and remained patient. While my family watched television as we waited for further details from the hospital staff, I continued to work on an online application at my dad’s bedside. (The application is to be included as a case study for a popular travel site.)

I had a tight deadline of 11:59pm EST to submit my application. I was able to submit it exactly at 11:59pm.

If you have any questions about the “30 Day Mind Your Own Business Challenge,” ask me in the comments and I’ll get right back to you! 

Enjoyed this article? Join my free newsletter.

The following two tabs change content below.
Robert James Collier is the founder at Practical Idealist where he shares practical ideas to achieve worthy ideals.